|Don't be scared, it's nice inside.|
|NO CALIFORNIA ROLL.|
|This is everything we ordered.|
Rating: Two thumbs up
Time In: 7:00 PM
Time out: 7:45 PM
Server's recommendations: Shimaaji
What we ordered: Shimaaji, hamachi, sake (salmon), tamago, pickle roll
Number in our party: 2
Final check amount: $29.36
- They have a small menu -- all they do is sushi. And they do it WELL.
- They do not have any kind of fancy gaijin rolls like the "sexy roll" or "dragon roll" or whatever. This is OG sushi. They don't have California rolls.
- The salmon nigiri was the best we've had in San Diego.
- The recommended shimaaji was also delicious.
- The atmosphere is a bit intimidating. We felt like we should be on our best Japanese behavior, lest we offend anyone. For example: we whispered. I (Miko) felt like I shouldn't write anything in my Convoy Conquest binder once we ordered. And we knew it would be tacky to ask to split the check, since it would cause the restaurant extra hassle.
Address: 4212 Convoy St
Phone number: 858.560.0080
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Private lot shared with a plaza
Ideal group size: 1-3
Available vegetarian options: Cucumber roll, pickle roll
Noise level: 2 (because of awesome Enka music--no one was talking loudly)
Who not to bring: Small children, people who don't have a decent understanding of Japanese rules of politeness