|Potato soup (left) and corn soup (right).|
|Carbonara (with cream, why?)|
|Tomato, garlic, and shrimp.|
- We know that this place is going to end up with a gold star, but not for their lunch special. They do pasta beautifully, and they are a perfect dinner restaurant. It is lovely for an evening date, where you stare into each other's eyes over glasses of wine. For lunch, I want something easier and less fussy.
- I also just happened to order a dish that I didn't end up liking. Jenne's garlic tomato sauce with shrimp was delicious! Their carbonara, however, proved disappointing. Their salmon and spinach in cream sauce is so light that I could happily finish a plate of it every day of my life, but the carbonara was really heavy. It reminded me of why I don't usually go out for Italian -- it sat in my stomach like a bag of wet cement, and I had eaten barely half.
- Their salads are also kind of meh. The tomatoes in the caprese were not ripe, and Jenne suspected that the croutons were from a bag. Surprising in a restaurant that seems to focus so much on detail!
- Also, we would really have liked a little dessert included in the fixed lunch. Just a single piece of chocolate. A tidbit of panna cotta.
- They don't have x-factor, which makes a restaurant cozy and homey, but what Ristorante Kaz DOES give us is the feeling that we're on a romantic getaway. It's a lovely place, and we'll be back again for dinner soon -- I've been eyeing the uni (which is one of my favorites at Izakaya Sakura, their sister restaurant) and the crab pasta.
Address: 3904 Convoy St, Ste 105
Website: Whoa, these guys aren't even on Yelp yet.
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Shared lot with a good number of spaces
Ideal group size: 1-4
Available vegetarian options: Oil and pepper pasta, tomato and garlic pasta
Who not to bring: People on a budget, first dates
Noise level: 2