|This is called cơm rượu. It looked so weird, we had to try it.|
Miko thought it was truly disgusting, but I thought I could
eventually develop a taste for it if I really had to.
Luckily, I don't have to.
|We were a little bit charmed by the napkin flair.|
|Miko's cajun shrimp and egg sandwich. It was DELICIOUS.|
|My "Dac Biet" -- not the best I've had, but tasty.|
|Note the contrasting straws to match the cup lids. This man is an artist.|
Rating: Two thumbs up
- The restaurant definitely had x-factor. That's rare for a chain. But we really felt like the people who worked there cared about us and their food. For example, the man at the counter came over to see how our food was. Can you imagine that happening at a Subway? Hell no.
- Speaking of the man at the counter, he was so nice to everyone! A girl practicing jiu jitsu next door came in to ask for water. He told her, "You don't have to ask! I see you guys all the time; you're like family!" A lady wanted baguettes, and he went out of his way to get her the freshest ones in the back. He was also happy to answer all of our (many) questions.
- We were happy that he gave us ONE personal recommendation. All too often, when we ask for a recommendation from servers, they name the most commonly ordered items (usually the bland, Americanized options) or guide us through the entire menu. We just want you to tell us what YOU think is the BEST thing you have!
- Plus, his recommendation was awesome! I know I love anything with an egg on it, but the Cajun shrimp sandwich was AMAZING and crazy-cheap. ($4.50ish? I was too intent on devouring my sandwich to pay too close of attention to the bill total.)
- Jenne's sandwich was decent, but not amazing, maybe because it was a cold sandwich. We went right before they closed, and at the end of the day, the baguettes aren't as fresh. So please note: get a hot sandwich (like the Cajun shrimp sandwich with egg, OMG) if you come here in the evening, since the bread'll get retoasted.
- The cơm rượu was "the most digusterous taste that is ever touching my teeth." Seriously, it was what I imagined snozzcumbers to taste like. However, I realize that I hate it because I don't like the taste of anything strongly alcoholic (except tequila shots), and I especially dislike sake. It's not the cơm rượu's fault. Definitely not Cali Baguette Express's fault.
- Minus points for the TV, especially because Two and a Half Men was on.
RESTAURANT INFORMATION Address: 4425 Convoy St, Ste 200A